Rui Carrilho Gomes
Geotechnical Division, Civil Eng. Dpt.
Instituto Superior Técnico
Universidade de Lisboa
Av. Rovisco Pais, 1
1049-001 Lisboa, Portugal
Main research areas:
Geotechnical earthquake engineering
Seismic methods: MASW, HVSR
Recorded and artificial time-histories
Research ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-1610-2013
1. LiMo: Lisbon in Motion – Risk Assessment, Rehabilitation, Urban Plan. Alexandre A. Costa, Mónica Amaral Ferreira, Alexandra Carvalho, Cristina Oliveira, Isabel Lopes and Rui Carrilho Gomes (Eds.) ISBN 978-989-20-5085-0
1. A Carvalho, RC Gomes, I Lopes, S Vilanova, Chapter 2. Seismology and Site Effects: Methodologies and Data for Participants. LiMo: Lisbon in Motion – Risk Assessment, Rehabilitation, Urban Plan. Alexandre A. Costa, Mónica Amaral Ferreira, Alexandra Carvalho, Cristina Oliveira, Isabel Lopes and Rui Carrilho Gomes (Eds.) ISBN 978-989-20-5085-0
International journals with referee:10. Gouveia, F., Viana da Fonseca, A., Gomes, R.C., Teves-Costa, P., 2018. Deeper Vs profile constraining the dispersion curve with the ellipticity curve: A case study in Lower Tagus Valley, Portugal, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 109, 188–198. 9. Renda, H., Bento, R., Gomes, R.C., 2016. Impact of ground movements on the seismic performance of old heritage buildings, Int. J. Earthquake and Impact Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp.360–376.
8. Gouveia, F., Lopes, I., Gomes, R.C., 2016. Deeper VS profile from joint analysis of Rayleigh wave data. Engineering Geology, vol. 202, pp. 85–98. (Impact Factor: 2.196)
7. Gomes, R.C., Santos, J.A., Modaressi-Farahmand Razavi, A., Lopez-Caballero, F., 2016. Validation of a Strategy to Predict Secant Shear Modulus and Damping of Soils with an Elastoplastic Model. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 20(2):609-622 (Impact Factor: 0.600)
6. Gomes, R.C., Gouveia, F., Torcato, D., Santos, J., 2015. Seismic response of shallow circular tunnels in two-layered ground. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 75, 37-43
5. Lopes, I.F.; Santos, J.A.; Gomes, R.C, 2014. VS profile: measured vs empirical correlations. A Lower Tagus river valley example. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, Vol. 73(4), pp.1127-1139.
4. Gomes, R.C.; Lopes, I., 2014. How the response spectrum of non-liquefied loose-to-medium sand deposits is affected by the groundwater level. Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 57, pp. 53–64.
3. Gomes R.C. 2013. Numerical simulation of the seismic response of tunnels in sand with an elastoplastic model. Acta Geotechnica, Vol.9(4), pp.613-629.
2. Gomes R.C. 2013. Effect of stress disturbance induced by construction on the seismic response of shallow bored tunnels. Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 49, pp. 338-351.
1. Gomes, R.C., Santos, J.A., Oliveira, C.S., 2006. Design spectrum-compatible time histories for numerical analysis: generation, correction and selection. Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp.843-865.
12. Roque, D., Perissin, D., Falcão, A.P., Gomes, R.C., Roque, A.J., Fonseca, A.M., 2016. Displacement Measurement Using SAR Interferometry – An Application to the Lisbon Regional Outer Circular and Its Neighborhood. ICUR2016 – International Conference on Urban Risks. Lisbon, Portugal.
11. Gouveia, F.M., Lopes, I.F., Gomes, R.C., 2014. Combined Analysis of Ambient Vibration HVSR and Active MASW Method. Near Surface Geoscience 2014 - 20th European Meeting of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, Athens, Greece.
10. Marques, F., Santos, J.A., Gomes, R.C., 2012. Coimbra Sand – Influence of Non-Plastic Fines In Liquefaction Resistance. 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, 24-28 September, paper nº 3404.
9. Santos, J.A., Gomes, R.C., Lourenço, J.C., Marques, F., Coelho, P., Azeiteiro, R., Santos, L.A., Marques, V., Viana da Fonseca, A., Soares, M., Abreu, É., Taborda, D.M.G., 2012. Coimbra Sand – Round Robin Tests to Evaluate Liquefaction Resistance. 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, 24-28 September, paper nº 4933.
8. Gouveia, F., Gomes, R.C., Lopes, I.F., 2012. Influence of stiffness contrast in non-horizontally layered ground on site effects. 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, 24-28 September, paper nº 3710.
7. Gomes, R.C., 2012. Numerical simulation of RRTT with an elastoplastic multi-mechanism model. 2nd International Conference on Performance-Based Design in Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering. May 28-30, 2012 - Taormina, Italy.
6. Gomes, R.C., 2012. Prediction of permanent displacements on a gentle slope with an elastoplastic model. 2nd International Conference on Performance-Based Design in Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering. Paper 8.02, pp.963-974, May 28-30, 2012 - Taormina, Italy.
5. Gomes, R.C., Santos, J.A., 2011. Influence of using records and artificial time-histories on ground seismic response. 5th International Conference on Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering, Santiago, Chile, January 10-13, Paper nº 6.8.IOUGO.
4. Neves e Sousa, A., Guerreiro, L., Gomes, R.C., 2008. A combined approach for base isolation design. Acoustics’08, Paris, June 20 – July 04, Paper nº 3588.
3. Santos, J.A., Gomes Correia, A., Modaressi, A., Lopez-Caballero, F., Gomes, R.C., 2003. Validation of an elastoplastic model to predict secant shear modulus of natural soils by experimental results. 3rd International Symposium on Deformation Characteristics of Geomaterials, Lyon, September 22 - 24, pp.1057-1062.
2. Gomes, R.C., Oliveira, C.S., Gomes Correia, A., 2001. Seismic response analysis of underground structure cross-sections using response spectra. 4th International Conference on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics, 26-31 March, San Diego, California, paper 6.29.
1. Gomes, R.C., Oliveira, C.S., Gomes Correia, A., 1999. Analysis of the dynamic response of the Volvi valley. 2nd International Conference on Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering, LNEC, Lisboa, pp.187-192.
PhD thesis (ongoing):
1. Gouveia, F. (expected 2017).
2. Miranda, L., (expected 2018). Liquefaction Mitigation Measures in Immersed Tunnel Foundations.
2009 - Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa
Numerical modelling of the seismic response of the ground and circular tunnels (in Portuguese) - abstract (in English)
2000 - M.Sc., Structural Engineering, Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa
Seismic behaviour of tunnels under seismic loading (in portuguese) - abstract (in English)
1996 - Diploma in Civil Engineering, Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa
Ranking: ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2016 - Civil Engineering
Universidade de Lisboa:
- best university in Portugal
- 34th in the world
(last update: 12-07-2017)